Cambridge University Skills Portal
How should I record my skills and achievements?
It's very important that you record your skills and achievements as you go along as this will give you a better understanding of your strengths and weaknesses and what you need to do to improve and achieve your goals. Keep files, notes and clippings relating to your personal and skills development, together with:
- an up-to-date version of your CV;
- supervision reports;
- a copy of your Transcript;
- samples of work (e.g. an essay, problem set, fieldwork writeup, design project);
- any relevant photos;
- links to your webpages, blog and any multimedia presentations, computer scripts or programmes etc;
- your log of extra-curricular activities*
- your training record (a note of any courses, talks and seminars you've attended and you should also keep certificates, testimonials and other documentation);
- your work experience history (remember to include voluntary work and keep records of any appraisals, feedback or references);
- your careers file (interesting job adverts, employer info, application forms).
This will form a unique record of your experiences and achievements and will help you to tailor your CV when it comes to applying for jobs, internships, scholarships or further studies.
* The templates provided are just suggestions and can be adapted as necessary.